Closing date: Until filled
BOW VALLEY CREDIT UNION
Bow Valley Credit Union (BVCU) is strongly rooted in the communities we serve. We take great pride in the communities where we live and work, we and are committed to helping them thrive.
Serving the communities of Banff, Canmore, Cochrane, Airdrie, and Calgary, BVCU has built its considerable success by delivering exceptional service and products to our members. Our members are at the centre of everything we do; our vision, purpose, and values reflect our commitment to our members and our communities.
BVCU is seeking a sales-driven, entrepreneurial individual to join our team. This individual’s primary objective is to oversee all aspects of commercial loan activities for the credit union, including syndication.
Reporting to the Chief Credit Risk officer, the Commercial Lender will lead origination activities, oversee the review, assessment and underwriting of high-quality commercial loan assets, and provide effective relationship and portfolio management while building and maintaining a commercial loan and mortgage portfolio that meets credit union needs.
The individual will work closely with BVCU branches, borrowers, key credit union partners, and third party suppliers, in order to build and maintain strong relationships in order to successfully meet business objectives and provide effective ongoing portfolio management.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Responsible for the underwriting, management, and administration of all commercial and syndication loans within your portfolio, according to credit union policy
- Oversee the sourcing, credit write-up, adjudication and review of commercial credit files, while ensuring risk mitigating strategies, including audits are implemented
- Demonstrate portfolio management and risk mitigation through the diligent review of financial statements identifying trends, monitoring risk, and assessing for credit restructuring
- Provide an exceptional member experience by delivering superior business and financial advice
- Assist members with their business plans and offering customized financial solutions that meet the needs of their individual operations
- Mentor and assist credit union employees by working collaboratively with BVCU branches to identify business opportunities that benefit both the credit union and as well the member
- Proactively build your network while using effective prospecting strategies to attract new business opportunities
- Engage credit unions, third party suppliers and external partners via a variety of different means with the purpose managing and developing the credit union’s syndicated lending program
- Keep apprised of current market information and commercial mortgage market trends, competitive developments, essential economic conditions, and regulations or policy issues
- Monitor and identify industry trends and recommend action by the credit union as appropriate to both capitalize on opportunities and effectively manage evolving risks
- Develop department objectives ensuring alignment with the corporate strategic initiatives
- Performing other duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job, such as preparing tracking reports, assisting with compliance-related tasks and completing inter-departmental projects as assigned
- Continually work to build the credit union brand and create recognition of BVCU as a valued partner through your technical expertise, market knowledge, and superior service delivery
- Be an advocate for BVCU’s products and services and be able to communicate to current and future business members how we can improve their financial lives
- Be a key partner to Wealth, Commercial and Retail banking to support business objectives and to provide a full service experience to our members
- Performing other duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job
- Demonstrate role model behavior by encouraging the desired corporate culture within the credit union
- Actively participate in community events as part of BVCU’s overall commitment to our communities
- Consider health & safety as a primary concern to ensure the overall well-being of self and others.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-Secondary degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, or related field is required. A combination of education and experience will be considered
- Has a minimum of 7-10 years of commercial credit underwriting and relationship management experience in a senior role
- Have a strong business acumen in Business or Commercial banking
- Experience within a credit union is an asset
- Enjoy the opportunity to meet new people, develop successful business relationships, negotiating with commercial clients and leveraging valuable centers of influence within the community
- Confident and skilled in taking initiative, assessing requirements, developing plans and taking the lead in making plans a reality
- Demonstrate your sales management skills in setting and monitoring sales targets, plans, pipelines and activities
- Stay abreast of all credit and investment product and services and stay current on our processes
- Willing to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as the job demands and travel to meet your member’s needs
- Comprehensive understanding of credit union operations, philosophies, principles, products, and services would be considered an asset
- Must be bondable and a Criminal and Credit record check is required
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Must hold a current driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle
- This position’s located in the Administration Office in Cochrane, Alberta, but retains the flexibility to work out of other branches as required
- This is a full-time position, based on a 37.5-hour work week
- Flexibility is expected for the individual to work when and where members potentially require it
- Travel is required and encouraged to build business. Mileage and travel expenses for job-related travel will be provided within reason
- The majority of work is done in an office setting, involving extended computer use, sitting, reaching, standing, walking, and minimal lifting
- Moderate mental effort with periods of high volume workload is to be expected
We are an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or veteran or disability status.
Click here to apply for this position.