Summerland Credit Union is hiring a Vice President of Finance and Risk in Summerland, British Columbia.
Become part of a dynamic and successful credit union located in the community of Summerland and nestled in the beautiful Okanagan Valley.
Under direction of the President & CEO, the Vice President of Finance and Risk manages and oversees financial forecasting activities, budgeting reporting and maintenance, fixed asset and depreciation schedules, tax reporting/filing, accounting, general ledger management, asset/liability management, liquidity, investment management/treasury functions, foreign exchange, financial statement preparation, regulatory filings, statistical reports, stress testing, enterprise risk management and provincial regulatory and legislative compliance activities for the credit union.
The VP of Finance and Risk actively participates in the development of corporate strategies and provides strategic leadership and advice on all financial, enterprise risk, and audit matters, directly supervises staff and provides system administration support for operations.
- Provide overall direction, control and planning for finance, accounting, tax, audit, budget, asset liability management and treasury/investment functions of the Credit Union.
- Maintains the Credit Union’s financial records; prepares financial and statistical reports for the Credit Union; prepares and files reports with regulatory bodies; prepares the Credit Union budget in accordance with guidelines from the President & CEO and Board of Directors.
- Regularly reviews the effectiveness of the accounting and cash management systems and recommends improvements to maintain integrity.
- Analyzes business, economic, financial conditions and their impact on credit union’s operations; makes recommendations to enhance performance or to mitigate losses including developing and running hypothetical stress tests.
- Leads the risk management function in the development, reporting and maintenance of corporate strategies and policies.
- Provides overall direction, control and planning for the enterprise risk management framework. Ensure practices align with policies and procedures and recommend changes to further improve efficiencies and risk. Follow up on any compliance deficiencies.
- Manages borrowings, credit limits and securitizations.
- Manages key relationships with BCFSA and ensures compliance to legislation, regulation and suitable guidelines based on the size and complexity of the credit union.
- Directly supervises staff by monitoring activities to ensure productivity, efficiency and ensure administrative tasks are completed on schedule. Responsibility includes; hiring, directing job assignments, monitoring performance, coaching, counselling, training, compliance with regulatory requirements and organizational mission, vision and values, policies and work rules. Review performance and provide recommendations for compensation, promotion and termination, as appropriate.
- Participates as an active member of the management team by:
- attending regular management meetings to exchange information on department activities, discuss short- and long-term goals, identify and resolve operational issues and problems using a collaborative approach;
- attending planning sessions and setting overall goals, objectives and strategies for future growth and development;
- acting as an advisor to management team in all issues relating to accounting and security,
- leads the ALCO discussion at the management meeting
- Displays knowledge of services offered by the Credit Union; considers and evaluates new services in relation to their financial impact on the Credit Union. Considers, evaluates, recommends and implement improvements where applicable.
- As Security Officer, ensures the adherence of security procedures with respect to cash holdings by ensuring that cash handling procedures are in accordance with established risk management procedures. Ensures that cash counts are conducted and staff are audited with respect to following security procedures. Adheres to security procedures as they pertain to the position.
- Oversees the preparation of financial reporting of subsidiaries.
- Maintain fixed asset records and the accompanying depreciation schedules.
- Conducts financial reporting in compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Acts as a voting member of the Management Credit Committee.
- Represents the credit union at external functions.
The above reflects the general details to describe the principal functions of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in this job.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Professional Accounting Designation
- Four to six years job related experience
Or equivalent education and/or work experience
- Advanced understanding of International Reporting Standards, audit and financial reporting controls
- Advanced understanding of Enterprise Risk Management and risk management principles
- Advanced computer skills
- Strong governance skills and business acumen
- Strong leadership and communication skills and possesses a high “EQ”.
- Working knowledge of Security requirements and procedures
Closing date: This position will remain open until filled
About Summerland Credit Union
“We enrich lives.”
Expectations are that every employee will demonstrate our values of integrity, community, relationships, innovation, personal development and co-operative identity through their work and interactions with employees, members and the community.
Summerland Credit Union Leadership VALUES;
- EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE / RELATIONSHIPS / INTEGRITY: Provides an outstanding level of service to create lifelong members which result in enthusiastic referral sources who value the relationships and experiences they receive. We believe in collaborative, mutually beneficial relationships that are built with respect; whether with our employees, members or business partners, relationships are of the utmost importance. Our character is rooted in the principles of honesty, accountability and “doing the right thing” for our members. It’s what has guided us to now and will continue to drive us into the future.
- INITIATIVE / INNOVATION: Identifies what needs to be done and takes action to achieve standards of excellence beyond job expectation; is a self-starter; contributes new ideas; looks for ways to add value to our company; recognizes and acts upon opportunities; focuses on achieving results. We embrace the entrepreneurial spirit that allows us to make bold decisions. Never satisfied with the status quo, we are in pursuit of innovative ways to enhance services for our members and further our prominence in the industry.
- CO-OPERATIVE IDENTITY: We are a co-operative financial institution and as such subscribes to the co-operative identity, values and principles adopted around the globe.
- COACHING / PEOPLE: Provides timely guidance and feedback to help colleagues and peers strengthen knowledge and skills in order to provide exceptional service to members; provides instruction, positive models, and opportunities in order to help others develop skills; establishes good interpersonal relationships by helping people feel valued, appreciated and included. We believe in a diverse, inclusive environment where new ideas are welcomed and personal development, through continuing education, is encouraged.
- COMMUNITY: Acts as a leader within the community and participates in various community events; looks for ways to support the community and serve both our members and other Credit Union members visiting our community. Community is at the centre of everything we do. We are committed to supporting and investing in the people and ideas which will foster the growth of our community for years to come.
- COMMUNICATION and INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Communicates effectively and respectfully at all times by actively listening and sharing relevant information; applies strong negotiating and team building skills that result in effective working relationships.